Learn to Paint a Beautiful Still Life in Oil at Vitruvian Studio.
We do a lot of still life painting here at Vitruvian Studio because it’s an excellent way to develop painting skills. We live in a world that contains an endless variety of material objects to paint, and each new still life arrangement presents different structures and surfaces, local colors and textures that challenge students to strengthen and diversify their painting technique.
This extensive online course presents the complete procedure for painting a still life in oil that we’ve been teaching here for years. The course is thorough, featuring 43 distinct lessons and over 17 hours of video. We begin with introductory lessons about paint, painting technique, and color that provide general concepts for students to keep in mind while working. Then, the course takes a deep dive into a full-length video demonstration that walks students through the sequence of steps for completing a finished painting. We assume no prior oil painting knowledge or experience, and the course proceeds sequentially, each lesson building upon what was presented previously.
In addition to the videos, written material is included on each lesson page that details key concepts to keep in mind while working. This written content is also available in handy downloadable PDFs at the beginning of each module for offline reading.
As with all our online courses, once you’ve enrolled your access will never expire. This allows students to absorb the material at their own pace, and return to review the course at any time in the future.
What you’ll learn in Still Life Painting – The Online Course:
- A sequential oil painting technique that works for painting anything
- Details about the painting materials we use with students and why
- A logical approach to drawing for oil painting
- A framework for understanding color and color mixing
- A strategy for choosing the right paints for the palette
- An efficient way to do painting studies that aid in the development of a completed oil painting
- Methods of measuring and sighting that help you understand the proportions of your subject and help you identify and solve problems.
- A procedure for developing an oil painting in a number of layers, or “passes”.
- Principles for understanding light and form and their interaction.
- A complete method for completing an oil painting from first marks to final details and varnishing.
What Our Students Say About Our Online Courses:
Excellent course! I love the sequential structure and attention to details and how well David explains and demonstrates what he is teaching. I have taken other art classes and have some experience, so I initially started with the Portrait Drawing. And it is such a good course, that I decided that I did not want to miss anything from the basics skills that are fundamental to really become a masterful artist. David is an outstanding artist and teacher. He goes step by step, explaining and showing the how-to of everything and gives plenty of practice materials to develop the skills. I am really impressed. I feel I have found what I was looking for. I am enjoying what I am learning, and I am already looking forward to more online courses. Keep them coming!
– Kathleen, Carolina, PR
Your drawing basics has been a wonderful experience for me. I am a medical illustrator, classical fine artist and instructor. I am always telling my students to continue practicing, searching, learning and growing. One will never know it all but one can always attempt to learn more. Thanks for putting together such a thorough learning program.
– Michael, Worthington, OH
It just occurred to me it might be nice if I let you know how much I am enjoying the Drawing Basics course. It is confirmation that logic is our friend.
– Joy, The Hague, NL
Here’s What You’ll Get Instant Access To:
- 9 Step-by-Step Modules containing 43 lessons with over 17 hours of video content
- A complete painting demonstration presenting the entire process, truly from start to finish
- Clear, practical information about color and color mixing
- Diagrams and animations to illustrate key concepts
- Downloadable PDF Guides for each module.
- A discussion of painting materials and their uses
- Lifetime Access to the Course — Go At Your Own Pace
- Free Lifetime Updates
- Question & Answer threads on each lesson page